Performances by jam bands on this day in history.
- Trampled by Turtles; Shelter From the Storm; 11/13/10 Baltimore, MD
- Mr. Blotto; The Weight; 11/13/98 Chicago, IL
- Umphrey's McGee; All In Time; 11/13/03 Knoxville, TN
- Phish; Stash; 11/13/97 Las Vegas, NV
[1:00 station ID]
- The Breakfast; Cut Me Some Slack; 11/13/09 Southbridge, MA
- Grateful Dead; Dark Star; 11/13/72 Kansas City, KS
- Grateful Dead; Morning Dew; 11/13/72 Kansas City, KS
Trampled By Turtles is an up-and-coming string band worth checking out.
Mr. Blotto is known for freewheeling, fun shows, and their take on "The Weight" with a freestyle rap battle is no exception.
Umphrey's McGee's performance of "All In Time" contains teases of Moby Dick, Hurt Bird Bath, and Birdland following the drum solo.
Phish was in the middle of their Fall 1997 tour, a favorite of many a phan. This version of "Stash" features some ambient, meter-less playing in the middle of the long jam.
In 1972, the Grateful Dead was pairing "Dark Star" and "Morning Dew" regularly, but this version is relatively unknown, probably because there is no soundboard source for this show. The version we heard is from Owsley's audience recording. The Dark Star is very long: 13 minutes before the first verse, and 33 minutes in all. The jam before Morning Dew is reminiscent of the "59th Street Bridge" motif the boys employed in their 1970 excursions, but much, much faster.
Technorati tags: WPKN, playlist, Morning Maniac Music, radio